Saturday, May 3, 2008

Breaking: Michael Rosenbaum Has Left Smallville


Lex Luthor has left the building.

And while it might not be a surprise really (Michael Rosenbaum himself told us a year ago this season would be his last) it is still 100 percent sucktacular to the fans who've loved him so dearly.

This statement was just issued by Smallville's Powers That Be (producers, CW and Warner Brothers):

"It has been an honor and pleasure to work with Michael for the past six seasons. He is one of the best actors on television and has never failed to bring a new layer to the character of Lex Luthor in every episode. While Michael won't be a series regular and we won't have the pleasure of working with him on a weekly basis this fall, we like to think that we haven't seen the last of Lex Luthor. Stay tuned."

And Michael himself (always a classy guy) took the time to write the following letter to you fans:

Dear Smallville Fans,

Well, it's been seven wonderful years. Your support is what has made Smallville so successful, and I appreciate you all more than you know.

That being said, it is time for me to start the next chapter of my life and career. I hope that I gave you some enjoyment over the years, and that you found my portrayal of Lex Luthor to be satisfying. I am truly grateful, as Smallville fans are the best fans out there. I sincerely hope that you will continue to follow my career through my hair growth period and beyond.

I'm very excited about what the future holds, but certainly, Smallville will always be a part of me. I will definitely miss the greatest crew in the world, and the wonderful cast that has been like a family to me.

Thank you Al and Miles for creating the show. Thank you writers, producers, directors and editors. Thanks Tollin, Robbins and Davola for being there for the pilot. Thank you Peter Roth for employing me for ten years. Lisa Lewis, I miss you already. John Glover, thanks for helping me feel more comfortable touching other actors, while acting. Bizarre, but helpful.

Mostly, I want to thank Greg Beeman for directing the "Oh Sherry" video, by Steve Perry, back in the '80s.

Thanks crew. Thanks fans. Thanks Smallville.

I love you all,
Michael Rosenbaum

As for what lies ahead, naturally, the studio, network and creative heads want to make sure you fans all know that a Lex-less Smallville will continue. So they have released the following details about two villains who are currently being cast for season eight:

Doomsday: In season eight, Clark will face his ultimate challenge with the appearance of the legendary, unstoppable destroyer Doomsday, who appears on Smallville for the first time. As comic book fans know, Doomsday is notorious for being the only character in the DC Comics universe to have killed Superman.

Female villain: Doomsday won't be Clark's only nemesis in the upcoming season. The executive producers are tight-lipped about a new female villain they will be introducing, but they can say she will be familiar to many fans and will set her sights on Clark in ways Lex never could. Intelligent, brilliantly manipulative, and dangerously sinister, our gorgeous new villain has one more weapon in her arsenal: Her mutual attraction with Clark may prove to be as deadly as kryptonite for him.

The question, though, is whether any newbie bad guy can fill Rosenbaum's ginormous shoes? With him and Kristen Kreuk seemingly out of the picture, will you keep watching? Share your thoughts below…

And if any of you regular readers need a cyber-bear-hug (Jesse? Smallvillefan16?), I'm here with open arms.

Original here

No comments: