Wednesday, June 25, 2008

George Carlin: Your Tribute

We had a number of our own posts dedicated to George Carlin yesterday, and you can find a run-down of all of them here. But you, the readers, also had plenty to say about the comedy giant's passing. So here's The Daily Show's tribute to Carlin, followed by just a few of the most memorable comments you were all kind enough to share.




I actually wore a shirt to 8th grade after buying it at his show the night before. It read "Simon Says Go Fuck Yourself!". I got suspended but it was so worth it!!!

Posted by JD

Seeing George's most recent special, I was afraid that he would not be with us for much longer. So here we are. My brother-in-law introduced me to the album "Class Clown" when I was a wee lad of 13, and I've been an admirer ever since. Even though his comedy style changed over the years, his "voice", the nature of his comedy, commenting on our societal and political absurdities, never changed. I hope he is remembered for a long time, and that future generations continue to "discover" George Carlin for themselves.

Posted by JB Grantham

This is the first celebrity loss I've ever had tears over. I guess this is how alot of people felt when Lennon, or Elvis, or Tiny Tim died.

I grew up on Carlin. Waited with great anticipation for every HBO show he did. He had a way with words that was both wise and whack at the same time. As he once noted, his job was to come around every once in a while, and remind us to laugh at things that we forgot to laugh at the first time around.

Who hasn't laughed at his routines on dirty words, stuff, people he can do without, things you never see, pets, death, religion, politics, cars, or air travel? He was one of those rare people who could find the funny in absolutely any subject one could bring up. And he made sure he wrote it all down so that HE wouldn't forget to let us know about it.

While I must admit that the negativity in the later shows got harder and harder for me to swallow, the honesty of his act was always undeniable. I don't think there was anything that he could have said that I would have considered taboo or over the line. At least not for him. He was the only person that I would allow into my home to openly bash, challenge, and ridicule my deepest beliefs and feelings about humanity, the hereafter, and everything else under the sun.

To this day, I'm able to whip out an appropriate and fitting Carlin line to just about any situation I find myself in. I thank him for showing me another way to look at the world and its completely screwed up denizens.

I think it's safe to say that the world will not be at all surprised to hear from George posthumously. I fully expect to visit his web site in the near future to find a message he's written to be delivered in the event of his death (sorry george, expiration). I seriously doubt that his personality would pass on such an opportunity to place that final stitch in our sides.

One things for sure. George has finally found out what lies beyond. He worshipped the sun (cuz he could see it) and he prayed to Joe Pesci (cuz he looks like a guy who can get things done). And while he didn't believe his soul would live on forever, he WAS a devout frisbeetarian.

I've placed a frisbee on my roof in his honor, and I suggest every fan do the same.

George, I hope your frisbee has landed on the highest roof of the highest tower in New York. May it lay there forever, and never fade in the awesome power of the sun.

Posted by Bo

George changed the face of comedy, no doubt. However, his intellectual grasp of culture and his understanding of the forces at work in our society were just as masterful. In the seventies and eighties, he flipped the bird to a society that was oversaturated with materialism. In the nineties, he became more bitter and had a no-holds barred attitude toward many taboo subjects as race-relations, abortion, capital punishment and farting in public.

I feel that I have lost a mentor today. He made me laugh and think in hour long disperments. Luckily, he has been taped and recorded so that the generations to come will have the opportunity to share his magic.

LONG LIVE THE MASTER OF WORDS!!!

Posted by Ray Engle

Going to stop at my local Catholic church tonight and light a votive for George Carlin...I believe he'd enjoy the irony.

Posted by Steve F.

I am very, very saddened by this. I worked all day and thought about his career, his life and times. His history. I loved his work and I really felt in tuned with it. He is certainly one of my favorite artists out there, and amongst comedians, he is without a doubt number one.

But even in this sad time, we should be happy that we had a man of his skill with is. He may of been brash and more than a little crazy, but he was using his life to perform the single most responsible thing: Using your talent to make others happy.

I'm not happy that he is gone, but I am happy that he was with us in his physical form for seventy one long years. He'll still be here in the hearts and minds of all his fans, and comedians forever to come.

I'll end with one of his best and most touching lines.

"That's all for me. Now I want you folks to leave here, and make yourselves happy. That's what's really important. Make yourself happy, and make someone else happy. Be good to yourself. Goodnight, thank you, I love you all, goodnight."

Adios to the man from White Harlem.

Posted by Winslow Dumaine

My parents grew up on George Carlin and then myself. My son also got to enjoy him as well. What a long and enduring legacy enjoyed by several generations. I had the good fortune to see him live again about 2 months ago and am now very greatful for the opportunity. I just wish I had shared it with my son as he will now only be able to watch in re-runs. Greatly missed. I also kid you not he was my write in for president this year. God go with you George.

Posted by Deb

There is a huge gaping hole in the collective conscience of the human race today, and the world is a much more serious place because of it. I heard some talking head on the news say that George "passed away"... he would have HATED that. He hated "soft" and evasive language.

George Carlin made us think and not get comfortable in our own skins. He took nothing for granted... words, phrases, events, behavior. He didn't just push the envelope... he tore it open, set it on fire and then stomped on the ashes.

Nature abhors a vacuum, but I don't know if anyone or any group of people can ever fill the incredible void that we're left with in the wake of this tremendous loss. George spoke up for and against the human race, and I don't know who can take up that crusade.

All I can say is: thank you George. Thank you for the laughter, thank you for making us think, and thank you for reminding us that sometimes a little brain damage can help!

Posted by J.P.

On the list of the ten things i must do in my life, I must now cross out one. Never getting to see the man live will haunt me for the rest of my days.
He opened my eyes to the world as it should be seen, through an enlightened sense of humor.
You will be dearly missed george.

Posted by matthew

I grew up with George. I remember when I was a child and my Mom was struggling financially after her divorce and couldn't afford much. However, she would occasionally be able to go to our local video store and rent me videos and the player itself because there was no way we could actually afford the player. The main thing I watched were stand up videos of all the greats, but there was one who stood above them all and that was George Carlin. He made my Mom and I laugh during a tough time and I'm grateful for that. However, George gave me one more gift before he passed. On June 13th, my brother, friends, and I got to see him live at The Orleans in Vegas for my Bachelor Party. I had never seen him live before and to get this opportunity to share it with those close to me in one of his very last shows is a true gift. Thank you George, you will never be forgotten and you live on in your influence on the work of countless comedians.

Posted by Darkwolf

Original here

No comments: