Saturday, June 7, 2008

Lou Ferrigno Smashes In On The Hulk!!

Lou Ferrigno to me was my idol when I was a kid growing up. He played one of my favorite super heroes in The Hulk and did it so convincingly that I wanted to be like Lou growing up. So imagine how exciting it was to finally have a chance to talk to someone you grew up idolizing. Yes, that last sentence launches me towards Planet Nerd, but I don’t care.


During my set visit for the upcoming comedy I Love You, Man starring Jason Segel, Paul Rudd, Jon Favreau, Thomas Lennon, J.K. Simmons and Lou Ferrigno, Lou stopped by for a few minutes to chime in on the upcoming Incredible Hulk movie, his role in I Love You, Man and how he wants more than anything to dance with the stars.


Are you excited about “The Incredible Hulk?


Lou Ferrigno: I am very excited about the premier this coming Sunday. I was very happy to do the voice, because this particular movie will be leaning more towards the TV series. I am very happy to be involved with Edward Norton, and my favorite great director Louis Leterrier. People might think it’s cool. I think it could be a huge hit.


After all these years doing the “Hulk”, do you have a preference on how the Hulk is being depicted?


Lou Ferrigno: Well, I haven’t seen the movie. But I think it’s nice that the Hulk is nine feet tall instead of forty feet tall. I think Ang Lee did a great job, and that was more like the comic book. But this new one is more like the TV series. You have the cat and mouse chase. And I think the Hulk is more sympathetic. I was glad to be doing the voice, because the character will now be more believable.


And now you are playing yourself in “I Love You, Man”?


Lou Ferrigno: I am playing a part in the movie, but I can’t contractually say what it is. But it is a surprise. It’s a nice scene.


Why can’t you talk about it?


Lou Ferrigno: Because the contract is signed. I can’t talk about it until after the film is out.


Is it something so amazing that we can’t know about it?


Lou Ferrigno: It’s a requirement from Universal Studios that I can’t talk about my part. Everyone has signed one of these agreements. But you’ll find out in four days.


Are you talking about this movie, or “The Incredible Hulk”? I’m asking about your character in “I Love You, Man.”


Lou Ferrigno: I’m talking about the Hulk. You want to know about this movie? What about it?


Are you playing yourself in this one?


Lou Ferrigno: Yes. That is correct. It is another version of me. This is a great romantic comedy. It is completely different. It is a movie you have never seen before, because it deals with a lot of sexuality. The director is banging the max out of everyone. We get a chance to see so many funny scenes, because we have so many funny characters. My storyline has to do with the selling of my house. It had to do with the whole concept of the other characters respect for me, and how I interact with the other characters. It is extremely funny.


And you get in a fight with Jason Segel?


Lou Ferrigno: Yeah.


Do you kick his ass?


Lou Ferrigno: Looks pretty obvious, don’t you think?


Are you going to be doing some dance moves in this? We heard the wedding band singing a song about you.


Lou Ferrigno: Yeah. We filmed the dancing yesterday. It will be whatever they put in the film. Everybody is going to be dancing.


Are you a pretty good dancer?


Lou Ferrigno: Yes.


What about doing the comedy?


Lou Ferrigno: I love doing comedy. I did comedy for seven years on The King of Queens. I’m excited about doing this, because you are going to see a different version and side of me that you’ve never seen before. Also, I have always had an ambition to do Dancing with the Stars. I think this movie is going to put me on the map. We have a lot of beautiful brides maids dancing. We have this whole group dancing. When you have that much excitement, you never know what is going to come out of it. Plus, everyone is cheering, “Come on! Come on! Come on!” They want you to go, go, go! It can get out of hand. It was a good thing that there were a few gurneys here last night. They had to take someone to the hospital. There was a guy in there that is eight-four years old, and he was in there dancing too.


How is the body building going?


Lou Ferrigno: It is going great. I am involved with my website, louferrigno.com. I am also doing a shoot for Fitness Magazine. It is a father-son workout thing. I am very active with them. I write articles, and have been with them for thirty years.


So you workout with your sons?


Lou Ferrigno: Yes, they are very involved in it. One is eighteen and the other is twenty-three. They are both avid bodybuilders. And they try to emulate me. Of course they have a college education, this is just a camaraderie thing. Maybe its because I own a gym.


Are they going to enter any competitions like their old man?


Lou Ferrigno: Oh, yeah. Sure. But the old man is going to stand up.


What has been your favorite part about doing this movie?


Lou Ferrigno: Everything, because I get a chance to show off what I am capable of doing. I know The King of Queens was a comedy, but this is taking it to a different level. You will get to see the silly side of me. You will get to see the angry side of me. You will see the anxiety side of me. I have put a lot of quality work into this film, and it gives me a chance to expand on my character.


So, you want to do Dancing with the Stars?


Lou Ferrigno: Of Course! I want you guys to start an online campaign to get me on the show.


In the song that we hear the band Ok Go singing about you, they mention the Hulk. Is one of these guys a huge Hulk fan?


Lou Ferrigno: I think so. This does have a lot to do with my lifestyle. That is at the center of this film. Lou lives in this huge mansion, but he wants a bigger house. This shows all of the interaction and what goes on in my real life in this film. You have to see it, because it is very funny. And I am very happy to have a director like John Hamburg, because he is a wonderful writer. He knows how to wring the best out of everyone. The thing I have noticed about this shoot is that all of these characters are very funny in the script. But these actors take it to another level. I’ve even surprised by myself.


Jason Segel and Paul Rudd love to go off script. Are you there with them when they start improving?


Lou Ferrigno: That’s what makes this film so unique. We have such good actors. They allow me to reach my max, because everyone is effected by the acting. This is a great cast. You have Rashida Jones beside Jason and Paul. You have Jane Curtain. And especially J.K. Simmons. That is a great cast. A great pick of a cast. Sometimes you have one or two characters that don’t really fit in a film. This one? It’s all magic.


Do you have any scenes with J.K.?


Lou Ferrigno: Yeah. I pulled him on the dance floor yesterday. Very funny.


What are you working on next? We saw some clips on line that you may be showing up in American Gladiators.


Lou Ferrigno: Yeah, I did a promo American Gladiators. It’s to promote the Hulk movie, because they are both produced by Universal Studios. It is sort of like hype for the movie. I am excited about the Hulk, because it has been so long. Young kids would like to see the continuum. I think this is going to take it to the next level. Because we were such a hit with the TV series. Its all about power, and kids love power. “Spider-Man” and the Hulk are Marvel’s two biggest franchises. I’d like to see it continue, because it is a positive thing for the environment. Especially all over the world, and for the kids.


Working with Bill Bixby, and then working with Ed Norton. Was it surreal at all?


Lou Ferrigno: They are very similar in that they are both fine actors. Working with Ed is going to be closer to the series. I think we are going to surprise a lot of people, because he rewrote the script himself. And he knows what the character should be. That is important for the film.


Lou Ferrigno crushes you with his manhood in 2009.


How awesome would it be to see Lou Ferrigno accidentally rip off some tiny little dancer chick's arms? E-mail your support to: george@latinoreview.com

Original here

No comments: